Monday, August 27, 2012

Legal Authority


 The way I went about finding a lawyer was calling some local lawyers and seeing if they were willing to help me out and find the answers to some of the questions I had been pondering about during the quarter of the class.  A lot I thought had to do with intellectual property which in the end turned out to be wrong.” Intellectual property laws don’t prevent someone from stepping on the owner’s rights”( Patent, Copyright& Trademarks Page 5 Richard Stim) What I learned when looking for lawyer my questions had to do with more copyrights than anything else. So finding a lawyer would be just that much harder in the fact that not a lot of Las Vegas lawyers are willing to just answer questions they don’t deal with on a daily basis. Copyright questions seem to be easy to me when looking for the lawyer just because you know you think well these are almost like regular rights. When in correction they are as stated “a copyright gives the owner of a creative work the right to keep others from unauthorized use of the work” .So on my quest to find lawyers I ended up using a list I had made and taking a shoot just to see. I had gotten more hang ups in my face than ever and was on the edge of just giving up and saying forget it. Then finally I was able to get in contact with a few people and ended up using Christopher Reade.  Seeing that my questions had to due with copyright I looked more into them then before learning “Copyright does not protect ideas or fats; it protects only the unique way in which ideas or facts are expressed”. (Patent, Copyright& Trademarks Page 197 Richard Stim). When I finally found a lawyer he did take time out to tell me that he did not do contract law but would help which in the end was happy doing anyways. Just  because any help would be good help. In the fact that I was on a deadline.  After sending my questions via email to the lawyer of my liking I think looked into even more resources.  Seeing that “filling for a copyright registration does not create a presumption of validity” (Patent, Copyright& Trademarks Page 205 Richard Stim). That I had also asked about since I did not know much information. That was my process on getting my lawyer and going about everything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment